Blood Moons / Total Lunar Eclipses

Blood Moons / Total Lunar Eclipses

Nov 08 is a full moon in Taurus and a total lunar eclipse, or blood moon. How do lunar eclipses impact magick, in your opinion / experience?

8 Likes

Traditionally, eclipses are considered Malefic. They signify a destructive or ill event approaching for a nation. William Lilly had a manuscript detailing how to judge the event signified by an eclipse for any nation, and when it shall occur, how long it shall last etc.

Eclipses are also mentioned in our traditional astrological magick texts. I certainly wouldn’t recommend performing any benevolent magick during such a time.

6 Likes

Well, from a divination standpoint, it could affect finances or harsh times for a person, as Luna in Taurus is 0-10 in 5 of Pentacles. Geburah of Assiah. Demons - Samgina, Raum; Angels - Mabahiah, Pooyal.

2 Likes

I’d say, if a person was born with the 2nd House in Taurus, then perhaps. But we should not assume it will signify the same event for everyone, or every nation. It is dependant on which House was on Taurus at their birth, or which House is placed on Taurus during the time of the eclipse in any nation, and then other factors come into play.

The Moon is also well dignified in Taurus, which can be something to keep in mind. I am not very well versed in Mundane Astrology, so perhaps it’s time for me to delve into judging eclipses.

2 Likes

From a thoroughly modern perspective, Sarah Faith Gottesdiener suggests in The Moon Book that they are a good time to cord cut, hex-break, uncross, divine, and delve into shadow work / mirror magick.

I will probably take an uncrossing bath, try out a cord cutting with Hekate and Atropos, try one of @Laurel_Spider’s halloween spreads (tea and tarot style), and consecrate my black mirror.

@Dankquanicus Mars will still be retrograde; is there any form of magick you would avoid doing, from a traditional perspective? That you are open to sharing.

3 Likes

During the eclipse? Well, I likely won’t be doing any magick during the eclipse. But regarding Mars retrograde, I wouldn’t look at that unless the Moon was applying to a Conjunction with Mars.

For example, I was looking for an election to uproot a patch of grass to plant something else in the soil. The Moon will soon be waning, so that is a nice time! And Gemini is a barren sign, so nice for this purpose. However, the day I looked at had the Moon very close in conjunction with Retrograde and Peregrine Mars. That could be nice for uprooting and destroying the patch, but I thought this would be too destructive for my tastes. I don’t want to harm the soil or cause some other unforseen misfortune through this. Plus, the Moon was seperating from Saturn, and I want her to apply to him.

So, I have elected to do it a bit earlier, before the conjunction with Mars is within the Moon’s Orb, and while she is applying to Trine Saturn, and luckily I found a nice time with it being in the Hour of Saturn, Saturn conjunct the Ascendant in Aquarius, and the Moon Angular.

So, unless the Moon is applying to Mars, I wouldn’t consider his position and state, unless I am going to pray to Mars or do some working with him or a spirit under him, or make a talisman under him.

2 Likes

I have never seen so much dedication to timing the uprooting of grass!
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha yes it does seem strange now that I think about it. But I would like it to have a good outcome, without too many little plants and weeds popping up in the soil afterwards, and for the soil to be worked well in preparation for the new planting.

The election for planting what I want to plant there is more important to me, because this is not simply the birth of the individual plants, but the birth of the entire patch as a group, and so influences the fate of the patch as a whole, and all the little creatures that shall live there and interact there. It’s also wonderful to see how the state of the heavens shows the movement of something here on Earth.

But of course all of this is done with convenient electional rules.

2 Likes

That is quite beautiful, actually.

1 Like

" According to Tibetan Buddhist practice, effects of actions are multiplied by a factor of 1,000 during a lunar eclipse."

3 Likes

Interesting! I see how it makes sense from a “Western” perspective as well. The Head and Tail of the Dragon are two figures in Geomancy, and indicate swift and rather large changes (Benefic if the Head, Malefic if the Tail). Thanks for sharing the article!

2 Likes

Both nodes are showing in taurus, but only one should be in taurus, the other six houses ahead.
Uranus is in Taurus. So with Mars entering, you would have Uranus, Mars and possibly Neptune with Luna entering Taurus as well. That might qualify as a square as far as aspects or events.

Very cool! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s true the two Nodes are always directly opposite each other. However, in the traditional Western Tropical system, Mars is not in Taurus nor is he entering it. Also, a Square is when two Planets are 90 Degrees from each other, so I’m not sure what you mean by a Square?

1 Like

My mistake, aspects are still fuzzy to me. I thought a grand square was when four planets are in the same sign, otherwise just conjunctions? So the system to use is the Western Tropical system if in the USA?

1 Like

So does Mars retrograde in Gemini then (in Western Tropical) push it to Cancer instead of Taurus? In either way, how would it effect the Blood Moon/Lunar eclipse?

Grand Squares and Grand Trines etc. Are not traditional. They developed after the round astrological chart was used (so that the aspects look like a triangle or square in the cicular chart, which you can’t really draw on the traditional Square chart displaying the 12 Houses of Heaven).

I’m not well versed on the modern (largely psychological) system of astrology. But as I understand it, a grand square would be 4 planets being 90 degrees from one to the other so that a computer drawn chart would usually display a big square on the chart (hence my comment above).

You can use what you like. It depends on what tradition you follow. If you follow traditional western astrology, then the Signs are Tropical. If you follow a system such as Vedic Astrology, then the Signs would be Siderial (Based upon certain Fixed Stars. In Western Traditional Astrology, the Signs are NOT the constellations nor based on the Stars).

I’m not sure what you mean by push. But as of writing this, Mars is in 25 degrees Gemini (Using Cardinal numbers), and since he is Retrograde, he is moving to degree 24.

It does not influence the eclipse. He would not be in aspect to the Moon during the eclipse.

1 Like

I see, thank you. So by the time it rolls around, Mars should still be in Gemini, at the most.
Under Tropical system.

1 Like

I have uprooted the patch, and now I understand why one would want a mixture of benefic and malefic influences for something like this.

I had the Moon Waning, and in a Barren Sign, and in a Mansion fortunate for destroying plants (although I actually didn’t plan that), but did not want her conjunct Mars, and had her in a fortunate aspect to Saturn, with the Ascendant in a fortunate sign too, because I felt I did not want it to be too destructive, as I said before.

I understand how this was doubly helpful, as when I was uprooting the patch, I saw that there was essentially a tiny ecosystem living there. All sorts of small bugs and shells were there, and I was essentially driving them out of their home. So just as with planting the new patch, this was not simply a patch but the home of a community in a sense. Having a fortunate election helps that they are not harmed too greatly in this, and that they set out well when they are cast out.

So, I have elected a time to plant the new plants in a time that is not only fortunate for planting, but also for drawing creatures to the new tiny home and that they prosper and do well.

3 Likes

I am truly in awe of your natural wizard ways :mage: :leaves:
Lucky for the tiny community too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes