Do we become our Patrons

This is a rather complicated matter, and the exact philosophy depends on if you see the stars as being direct causes (which I touched on here)

I will be referring to the influence of the stars as if they are direct causes for the purpose of this post, even if that is not entirely accurate, but it is accurate to some views.

Ultimately, the Stars relate to the very Spirit of the World. They influence our emotions and our passions and drive, having also been involved in creating us as we read in Plato’s ‘Timaeus’. They give us part of our will and our desires.

The LHP is generally very heavily focused on individual emotions and desires, focusing on the will and on satisfying the desires of the magician. So I would argue that it is something that actually lines very heavily if not perfectly with fate, and a magician’s natal chart should reflect this.

Of course, you get different definitions of the LHP and so on, but I believe many will agree that is part of what most consider it to be.

What is “forceful” here is not acting against the stars, but rather acting with them, if the magick has been performed to meet a desire.

And ultimately it is not quite possible to move beyond the influence of the stars as long as you are in this corporeal world. You may be able to act from your divine soul without the influence of them (which is a Hermetic view, and comes with Theurgy, which is practice translated literally as “God Work”), but even with all the magick a magician does, the outcome of any spell or working can be seen from the state of the heavens at the time the working was done. This is true for any action that can be done as well, such as a marriage, starting a business, tending to a garden, or cutting one’s hair (and William Ramesey does give electional rules for cutting hair in his Astrologia Restaurata). Every action can (and just about always is) be influenced by the movement and state of the Stars.

But others believe that you cannot move beyond fate, and that everything here moves in accordance with fate. This view was not so common among the Medieval and Renaissance European and Arabic astrologers, as free will is part of Christianity and Islam, and Platonism and Hermeticism was also dominant at this time.
But the view of total pre-determination was more common in the Roman Empire.

8 Likes