Spirits which require compelling?

I think she only hates men who hate women. That’s the impression I got from her.
Which rules you out solidly, since you are not a woman-hating man. :3

I can see him doing that, for sure.

He has tried to impose his will on me, which I’ve occasionally ceded to at my own decision, but in general I find him very conversational and reasonable. And I have spoken to him many times. I’ve never sent him after anyone, but I rely on him a lot for meta-magick, or you know, buffing skills in many areas. He is not someone I am super super close with, but he is one of a handful of entities just outside my inner circle of guides that I would put trust in.

I’d say so too, since he can be VERY compelling, whatever form that comes in.

I’ve always found though that if an entity seeks me out, it’s not because they see me as easy to control, but because they truly want to work with me, whether for their own agenda or otherwise.

Then again, there are spirits who the mage seeks out that you can become close with, too.

It’s almost as though they’re like people in having their own personalities in that regard… :wink:

Norseman, have you ever tried Scylla? I thought she might be a good complement or counterpoint to Medusa. (Soz, going off-topic)

3 Likes

Dude, I’m so glad that there are people like out there that aren’t afraid to take a stand with “that sort”…:love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Nope. I’ll likely hit her up today.

3 Likes

Yes, very much so!

1 Like

Oooh. Let me know how it goes. And if you get a pathworking… even better. She was on my mind a while ago. It would be nice to have another protector.

3 Likes

There are different tellings and interpretations of the myth (including one in which she was transformed so no man will attack her again). The punishment is for being raped in a temple, since the rapist was Poseidon, she had to paid (because how do you punish Poseidon anyway?)

Her death remains the same in all tellings, I think: decapitated by Perseo with Hermes’ sword, watching the reflection in Athena’s shield.

And don’t worry about the tales, Mike, while the bit of myth where they despise hubris seems to be truth is quite harsh to indulge in that in their presence. One feels humbled and it doesn’t seem like they’re trying to make us feel that way.

5 Likes

Myth is elastic; it changes (endlessly) to suit the whims and values of people. One theory about Medusa and the Gorgons is that they represent the old religion that the Greeks came in and overthrew. The hero slaying the monster; ripping apotropaic masks off of chthonic priestesses. Some say Medusa was a head first; her body and myth came later. She is above all a protector and an averter of evil.

5 Likes

So weird this popped up on my thread now. Yesterday a woman appeared to me various time mostly as a black background and a green silhouette of the woman. Saw her face and she gave me symbols (maybe a sigil) but I didn’t have paper or pen handy. I asked a friend for a scan and the name Medusa was heard. :thinking:

5 Likes