Experiments in Cultivating Nightshades

I quite enjoyed the Green Magic Mini-Course, it was a nice one!

1 Like

Oh, I am glad to hear it! May I ask your thoughts on Christopher Warnock? I must admit that atm I would rather read his books (packaged for a modern reader) than pour through volumes of renaissance-era philosophy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Three of his book are legally available for free, I wonder why

3 Likes

He’s great! I really like him. He’s very relaxed when he speaks of esoteric philosophy and has a very relaxed practice it seems. Well, he is a Zen Buddhist priest, as far as I understanding, and was initiated into a Sufi order, so perhaps that factors into things.

His books don’t go into full detail on electional astrology or magick, because ultimately, it can’t be taught so easily in just a simple book like so. But, they are really useful!

He also doesn’t fully explain traditional Platonist and Hermetic philosophy in his books, but does give a good introduction to help a more modern person understand the general world-view of the pre-Modern European world-view.

They are definitely pirated (Not everything on Archive.org is there legally). They are not in the public domain. I’d recommend rather buying his works.

2 Likes

Oh, I had no idea! :scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like

I also thought at first that it was all stuff in the public domain. But, I’ve found media on there that is definitely not in the public domain (Released only a few years ago, still being sold). There’s also plenty of other media on there illegally. Recently, some publishers have started to crack down on Archive.org more intensely. So, best to be careful about what is given! It’s not all from libraries and such.

1 Like

@mods, I am not sure if what I have linked is actually problematic? Please let me know what you would like me to do.

There’s a saying that I read in an analogy about studying the traditional Hermetic texts vs modern texts like the Kybalion that I really like (and I’ll probably use this again): “Like sex, better hard and slow than fast and bad”.

Reading through Medieval and Renaissance era texts is more difficult, you’ll have to go about it more slowly, but most things of value are gained that way.

Similarly, an Ancient Sage called Zucrat was reported to have taught his students to start friendships slowly, to not let it grow quickly, because friendships that start quickly and strongly seldom last, but ones that grow slowly are much stronger and more enduring.

Although this isn’t about Warnock’s books, but rather studying traditional texts in general. Christopher Warnock’s books are very helpful and great and faithful to tradition.

1 Like

It is on my list, just not on the top. I plan on reading some introductory literature to familiarize myself, and then delving into the texts themselves when I am ready to fully immerse into planetary magick and possibly traditional astrology. I imagine this will take many years!

1 Like

I planted some wormwood and datura into the hellebore box outside the southern window; maybe I’ll get lucky. Cultivating from seed has been a challenge- but I found this wonderous shop!

I ordered 2 mandrake plants, 2 belladonna plants, 1 aconite plant, and 1000 Papaver somniferum seeds. Under 50 euro with shipping! Incredible!

2 Likes

Not sure how this one got passed me! I enjoyed the Henbane and Datura courses.

2 Likes

I struggled to understand the German labeling of the soil I purchased. I was going for chalky and alkaline, but instead purchased and planted in peaty and slightly acidic. I will be sure to have the rite soil for the Belladonna and Mandrake I ordered, which I will keep in pots on my balcony.

Though, Black Hellebore has not minded at all. Perhaps because I didn’t start from seed.

3 Likes

The first time I sprouted poppies was by mistake; I sewed them into a curse jar full of graveyard dirt, and they flourished. At first. They died not long after I transplanted them into a proper plant pot.

The second time I incorporated them into a time-based prosperity spell. The spell was largely successful, but the seedlings did not live long.

I now know that the issue was being sewn too close together. Overcrowding is a death sentence for poppies, as they will fight eachother ruthlessly at the expense of their other functions. None of them will survive.

This is my first time planting P. somniferum ; a beautiful deep blue variety. While not a nightshade, I found it relavent enough to include in this thread. I tried my best to plant lightly, but am worried that once again they will kill each other. Perhaps I should transplant them once they get stronger.

The actual nightshades should arrive on the 25th calendar month. Two belladonnas, one yellow belladonna, one bittersweet nightshade, and two mandrakes. Along with one mullein, one white henbane, one wormwood, one mugwort, one rue, and one aconite.

I still have black henbane, tobacco, and datura seeds; I will try fall planting these, along with the seeds my black hellebore recently produced. I may try to propogate some foxglove from the woods before then.

I need a million pots.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Really enjoying this, so far! Bookmarked!

2 Likes

Thanks @Heathen_Hermit !

2 Likes

First Belladonna blossom :relieved::relieved::relieved:

4 Likes

I ordered several plants, including mugwort. Some of the leaves were browning, and I examined them by hand.

Except, this is not mugwort. I was fooled by the similarity of leaf and lack of blossom. This is Monkshood! My hands went numb immediately. A few hours later, I had stomach cramps. Do not mess around with Aconite!!! (@norse900)

I repotted her with gloves, long sleeves, and a face mask. I placed her on a window balcony where noone will accidentally touch her.

Hail Hekate!

4 Likes

More garden confusion

My initial attempts to grow Datura stromonium from seed failed. Months later, I sewed Papaver somniferum in the same soil bed. They sprouted. Or, so I thought

I repotted them in five hanging balcony boxes, in a much more spacious arrangement.

In doing so I noticed these seeds hanging on:

These look like Datura seeds. I have no idea what is what at this point :joy:

The original box has several seedlings with different leaves; I am not sure if they are invasive / weeds, or the Poppies, or self-seeded Black Hellebore, something else :thinking:

@Heathen_Hermit , may I ask if you recognise any of these seedlings? @UncleAl , do any of these look like tobacco to you? Thanks!

4 Likes

See
this makes it forbidden fruit
 :joy: Thanks for the warning.

3 Likes