Nocturnal & Diurnal Moons in the Natal Chart

Nocturnal & Diurnal Moons

The hemisphere of your your natal chart that the moon is placed in (its sect placement) has an effect on its quality. Diurnal moons are located in the northern hemisphere while Nocturnal moons are located in the southern hemisphere. If you are unsure where your moon is, you can generate a free natal chart at astro.com (you will need your birth-time in this case).

Benebell Wen has provided free, open access guides to interpreting natal moon signs and placements, selections of which can be found below:

I am curious if anyone agrees with her interpretations. I have a diurnal moon placement (ninth house) and do not feel like I have weakened moon, but my moon is conjunct the planet which rules it sign (in modern astrology). Please feel free to comment if your placement resonates with Wen’s interpretations.

Thank you :crescent_moon:

P.S. Comments from traditional astrological perspectives are very welcome, including scathing ones!

5 Likes

This isn’t how sect works. The Moon is a nocturnal planet and will always belong to the nocturnal sect, along with other nocturnal planets (Mars and Venus).

The sect of the chart is determined by the position of The Sun relative to the horizon. If it’s above the horizon, i.e. the native was born during the day, the diurnal group of planets (sect: from gr. hairēsis - faction) predominates, or the
geniture is called diurnal. The opposite is true when The Sun is below the horizon.

What she is writing about is a sect-based affinity, meaning nocturnal planets will act better in the nocurnal hemisphere and diurnal planets will act better in the diurnal hemisphere. The highlighted charts are misleading, because the point of reference in establishing which half is which is The Sun. The upper half (houses 12 to 7) will be diurnal only if the native is born during the day.

There is a ton of bullshit written on those 2 pages, and that’s not even including the interpretations. I’m genuinely surprised this person thinks she is qualified to write a book on the subject. 0 stars.

5 Likes

I want to add this from the PDF here, on the first page you show in this post: "In Hellenistic astrology, the sect of a planet or luminary matters. Sect placement will alter the
quality of a planet or luminary in your chart. The sects are the two halves of the horoscopic chart.
The diurnal sect is the southern hemisphere, from the moment the sun rises in the east to just
before it sets in the west. The diurnal sect consists of houses 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12.

The nocturnal sect is the northern hemisphere, from the moment the sun sets below the western
horizon to the moment it rises again in the east. The nocturnal sect spans across houses 1, 2, 3, 4,
5, and 6.

Identify the sect placement of your moon sign. If your moon is in the top half of your birth chart,
then you have a diurnal moon. If your birth chart is located in the bottom half of your chart, then
you would say that you have a nocturnal moon."

As @hypn0s said, this is not how sect works, what Wen described Sect as being is wrong. The first consideration regarding that is that a Planet is either Diurnal or Nocturnal in their nature, it does not change (Although Mercury is the exception, whether he is Diurnal or Nocturnal depends on whether he is Occidental or Oriental in Hellenistic Astrology, as far as I understand).

But since Wen says this is in Hellenistic Astrology, here is an article on Sect from Chris Brennan, a well known modern Hellenistic astrologer:

Brennan gives two excerpts from one of the Books of Firmicus Maternus to give examples of Sect. In both examples, a Diurnal planet is above the horizon, but their signification changes depending on whether the Sun is above the horizon (Making the Radix Diurnal) or below the horizon (Making it Nocturnal), and in Firmicus’ examples it is quite significant.

Now, Brennan lists whether the consideration of the Planet being above the horizon or below the horizon as one of the two additional “Sect-related rejoicing considerations”, but this is still depending on where the Sun is, and he says this is a secondary consideration, not as important as the Sun being above or below the horizon.

The issue of a Diurnal or Nocturnal Planet being above or below the horizon is also considered in Medieval and Renaissance astrology, as when (in Renaissance astrology), for example, a Nocturnal Planet is above the horizon by night or below the horizon by day and in a Nocturnal Sign then this Planet is in their Hayz according to William Lilly (But earlier Medieval definitions of Hayz can be more complex).

Now, on Wen’s interpretation of a “Nocturnal Moon”:

“A nocturnal natal moon is said to be an auspicious placement, and will endow you with certain windfalls, or unexpected gains and good fortune in the course of your life path.”

That seems quite significant, and broad… all that from whether she is above or below the horizon. Obviously, I have problem with that. If the Moon is in Scorpio or Capricorn, afflicted by Saturn or Mars, in an unfortunate Cadent House, then the Moon is still unfortunate regardless of being above or below the horizon. Not signifying good fortunate throughout the course of life.

Now, Wen also says something confusing to me regarding a “Nocturnal Moon”:

“In traditional astrology, a natal moon in the nocturnal sect means it’s in a commanding
position, or is a commanding sign. A nocturnal moon shows someone who may have
inherited a more self-oriented perspective from your mother, in the sense that you strive to
acquire assets, achieve high status, or accomplish great things just so you can feel a sense of validation and self-satisfaction.”

Wen claims this in traditional astrology, but I am a bit confused by this. Either she is saying this regarding being commanding because the Moon has a bit more power when she is below the horizon by day (or above the horizon at night), or she may be confusing this with Commanding and Obeying signs (Strangely referring to the Moon as a “Commanding sign”). In any case, the Moon would be more commanding when she is in one of the Commanding Signs instead of the Obeying Signs, not so much regarding her position to the horizon.
@hypn0s perhaps you have more comment on that excerpt.

3 Likes

Commanding/Obeying sign division is also the first thing that came to my mind when I read that, but it doesn’t make any sense. And since when a planet can also be a sign? It’s complete nonsense

1 Like