Continuing education - Whatcha Reading?

Err…there is the caveat, which is the stepping stone to ALL of the things.

You have to be ready for the step, whatever that is the to the person. We search for the book/experience that gives us one…but that is something I’ve never experienced.

Intuition is needed. The spot where uncertainty and comfort meet and it’s 25% certainty… But I’m an advocate of having beneficial entities guide you, so, keep that in min. There should be some logical or emotional fear, or it’s just another corporate, “safe” exercise. My opinion. Find a guide or patron.

3 Likes

Good thing to add to that.

Most initiations I’ve known I needed and that is was time for. Having a guide can help you mane the decision though that’s true.

3 Likes

The problem I’m having with Kenneth Grant is there’s so much Aleister Crowley and thelema and talk of aeons in the book. I never decided to become an a.c. follower so the book is a little hard to understand without that frame of reference.

4 Likes

And that illustrates the difficulty. Most were “trained” like the McCarthy crowd, to believe this = that. There’s usually truth in some measure, but ALL Occultists are partial products. We take “sure” people like Crowly and McCarthy and, if progressive, we move beyond, our own version of our indoctrination, the good, the stuff that worked, and the rest.

3 Likes

Just got Greg Peters’ new book, Yogini Magic.
I’ve had the McCarthy trilogy for a while and only skimmed it-I’ve been meaning to give it a deep dive. I like her work, and years ago a lot of my initial exploration was with her former husband. Maybe a book club or group read?

6 Likes

You sick bastard! Kenneth Grant? I’d have thought you had more sense. I’ve got Aleister Crowley & The Hidden God (hardback) and it’s fucked too. So you promise me that you’ll spend whatever it takes to get the complete (hardcover) collection of Osman Austin Spare. There’s a good boy!

4 Likes

Grant was an intelligent sicko into women having octopus sex - no joke.

3 Likes

I suppose that explains the “typhonian” bit then.

2 Likes

I would be keen :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m down for it

1 Like

Last occult-related book I finished (“finished”) was Linda Goodman’s Star Signs… by Linda Goodman. It was about 25% interesting content on astrology and numerology, and 75% weird New Age shit that made even myself be like “girl… no”.

Never actually finished it, or if I did I don’t remember. Just got as close to as much cherry-picking as I could handle, noted down the good stuff, glazed over the rest.

Right now I’m reading Peter J. Carroll’s The Apophenion. It’s largely good, but my problem is that I read books to help me fall asleep at bedtime, so I inevitably end up forgetting whatever tidbits of useful information were on the last few pages. Nothing world-shattering so far, but I do like the way his mind works.

The last truly amazing occult book I read was The Game of Life by Florence Scovel Shinn. Short, concise, uplifting, reassuring. Recommended to everyone.

5 Likes

You know what I wonder…was he like that before qlippoth or because of qlippoth. Assuming that’s true about the octopus bit that is. Qlippoth can have some real…unusual effects.

4 Likes

Also curious about this one! Have you read Hands-on Chaos Magic by Andreah Vitimus?

4 Likes

I haven’t! Should I…?

2 Likes

I definitely recommend it. It’s a thick book full of practical exercises. I haven’t worked through it all the way yet, but have liked what I’ve worked through so far.

3 Likes

I’ll add it to my list :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks dear!

2 Likes

Lately I’m reading “Qabalah, Qlipoth and Goetic Magic” by Thomas Karlsson, since I’m planning to work through the Qlipoth next year, and I will probably buy and read " Tree of Qliphoth” by Asenath Mason.

4 Likes

Awesome book!!!

You are reading the best book on the subject in my opinion. And I love your plan for qlippoth. That is super exciting @Mei I’m really pleased to hear you say that.

I got sooo much game from Karlssen. My crystal ball evocations…all him. Keep us posted orPM me if you want to talk about any of it.

:love_you_gesture::muscle::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s been on my mind since a while. I thought I would jump into it next year, so I have time to read about it and get prepared I guess. I will most likely make another journal for it, and try to post daily.

Is there any other good ressources about the Qlipoth ? I saw there is the one from V.K. Jehannum, so I’ll read it too.

3 Likes

I used rites of the acharayim by Jehennum. It was perfect.

VERY simple very effective. I did 7 days each and it was HARD. Very challenging stuff highly rewarding

3 Likes