Random Epiphanies

Ok, so the title pretty much says it all. Let me explain…

I’ve been sitting here watching “Monty Python’s the Meaning of Life” and got to the “Very Big Corporation of America” scene and the boss has asked the employee to deliver his report on the meaning of life. He delivers this in two parts; not enough people wearing hats and that the soul must be “brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation, which rarely happens because people are easily distracted”. As he briefly explains this, a penny sorta dropped for me. We aren’t born enlightened. We aren’t born with the skills to become enlightened. We learn them through shadow work and a process of learning those skills. How we get there is individual but the end point is essentially the same. We’re all (more or less) capable of obtaining enlightenment, but most of us get distracted by the day-to-day operations of life and the rest of out mundane existence.

This got me thinking that a damn Monty python film is a strange place to have such a realisation and wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience. Like a just some major life lesson that’s hit you in a strange place. Whether an realisation specific to you or something that is a major realisation about existence itself; I think it would be interesting to share.

7 Likes