Dankquanicus' Journal of Thoughts and Other Things

That makes sense! It’s similar to how they interpet the “Death” card in the Tarot, versus how it’s traditionally viewed. And I’ve heard of some of the New Age folk taking out the Death and The Devil cards from their deck…

Hmm I think you would definitely find ideas of the “Dark Feminine” connected with Solar Eclipses.

From William Ramesey’s ‘Astrologia Restaurata’ Book II, under the list of Beasts ruled by the Sun, he says this: “Moreover the Aegyptians did use to preserve them [Baboons] amonst their hollowed things; for that by them they knew the time of the Conjunction of Sol and Luna, for after the aforesaid Conjunction, the Male Baboon will neither look up nor eat, but goes still dejected, as it were lamenting the ravishment of the Moon, with this disdainful passion; in like manner the Female at that time sendeth forth blood out of her womb of Conception; for which cause the Egyptians signifie by a Baboon the Moon, and her rising by his standing upright, holding his hands uptoward heaven” (Page 58)

So it seems to me that there’s a link between the New Moon and menstruation. Since Solar Eclipses always occur on a New Moon, a link could be made.

2 Likes

I have read that these demons are product of inquisition in medieval europe !
If you want I can post the text

1 Like

That would be great! I’m definitely interested to read it.

1 Like

Election for Planting

A year ago today, I planted 8 Bird’s Eye Chili Pepper seeds under the conditions shown above. The timing was more spontaneous, as I felt a strong intuitive sense to plant the seeds, rather than electing the time so precisely. Although I believe I did wait until the Hour of Mercury, a fortunate Hour for planting seeds, to begin the planting. You can see that I otherwise didn’t elect this time specifically.

The Ascendant was in Cancer, a fruitful Sign, which is great for planting seeds. Mercury is the Lord of Seeds in the material world, and he was standing strongly in the Heavens by being conjunct the Midheaven. He was also conjunct the Dragon’s Head, which is very fortunate! Even though Mercury was Peregrine. Additionally, Mercury was also Sextile Jupiter, further strengthening him. And indeed, 7 (If not all 8 of the seeds) germinated. Mercury was Square Saturn who was also strong, being in the 7th House and in his Sign. A harsh aspect, which is unfortunate, but it seems the state of the Ascendant and Moon balanced that out here, since they are of primary significance.

The Moon was Waning and in Sagittarius, a Fire Sign, which is more Barren (Although, I know of one traditional source that says Sagittarius rules over gardens). But, the Moon was in her 21st Mansion, Al-Baldah (Going from 17 Degrees, 8 Minutes, and 46 Seconds Sagittarius until 0 Degrees, 0 Minutes, and 0 Seconds Capricorn), which is fortunate for planting seeds. She was also in the 5th House, a fortunate House. Additionally, she was Sextile Saturn, which is great for gardening in general! Since Saturn rules over Agriculture. The Moon was also Trine the Sun, strengthening her.
The Moon was also in a Square aspect with the Lord of her Sign, Jupiter, who was dignified by Sign in Pisces. Which may indicate troubles in the matter being completed?

With the Moon Waning, and in a Square aspect with Jupiter, indeed, the plants also took some heat damage in the early days of their growth, which impeded them. However, this did not do too much harm to them I believe, and they were moved to a cooler area eventually and they grew wonderfully! Even if not nearly as large as they could have (Which, also has to do with their surroundings).

The Lord of the Sign of the Lord of the Ascendant, and the Lord of the Sign of the Moon both reveal the conclusion of the matter, and in this case Jupiter was both. He was strongly dignified by being in his Sign, and he was in the 8th House, which is a rather malefic house, but at least he was not Cadent from an Angle. And indeed, the plants have grown wonderful chili peppers and a fairly good amount of them, and they are healthy, despite some troubles early on. I wouldn’t say that they are really remarkable, but for their conditions they have done well.

So, quite a mixture of electional factors here. Very interesting to observe. Saturn was also in the 7th House, as was said, and it’s generally unfortunate to have an Infortune in Angular Houses, but perhaps since Saturn was dignified by Sign and Triplicity, and he is the natural ruler of Agriculture, this reduced the affliction. Or, perhaps he signified the early troubles of growing the plants. I’m not entirely sure yet.

1 Like

I have a great love for the Celestial Gods and Godesses. I wish to praise and honor you here, Venus, for you are great and close to the Almighty.

The ancient sages have said, love is vital to the art of magick.

2 Likes

Gained an interest in the Pentacles of Solomon. Hmm, super pentacles!

There’s a view pushed by consumerism which makes every aspect of life seem extremely simple.

Regarding human relationships, in marketing at times they tried to sell this idea to women that if they’re sexually skilled, their man will never leave them. For men, if they have reputation and money, they will easily draw any woman. For friends, having these clothes will make you popular and well liked by everyone.

With money, you just need “This one simple SECRET” and you’re well on the road to extreme success.

Does anyone believe in these views that go around in marketing? Well, it seems some people at least have enough hope to follow them.

Even in the Occult, you get a lot of books that really push this idea of “This one simple and practical SECRET will make all your magick super powerful and bring you success”.

This is a marketing trick that’s not at all new, but the difference is that people are exposed to this kind of gross simplification constantly through media, since it’s a big part of most people’s lives. That can have a rather subtle effect on people, and you see it now that indeed a lot of people do think many aspects of life are really simply, “this problem is going to be fixed if peope simply do this!”, which is mostly pushed in a political context (Again, a marketing tactic).

But, this kind of thinking is really detrimental to an occultist. And some beginners really struggle with that. Rather, we see how the entire cosmos is a very complex web of interaction, rather than everything being as “Doing X always gives you Y as a result”. It’s always good to contemplate on that, and in many ways it’s relieving.

In some ways there is a supreme simplicity to the cosmos, but with the things within it, everything is a complex system of interaction, just like the human body. The entire cosmos is one unified living being, and nothing is truly separate from one another.

3 Likes

Being exposed to posts by modern astrologers lately, I see how some of modern astrology looks extremely strange from a traditional context. I didn’t look much into modern astrology before studying traditional, so some of the techniques used by modern astrologers seem extremely strange to me.

“Your MC is in the 9th House!”

“Saturn was in Aries in the 2nd House, this means you have GREAT potential for making money through hard work!”

“Venus was in 9 Degrees 30 Minutes Aquarius, and the MC was in 10 Degrees 10 Minutes Aquarius, so Venus was in the 9th House”

It seems a good deal of the more recent modern astrological techniques develop from how the chart itself looks, such as “grand trines”. These aren’t traditional, because the traditional chart is a square, so aspects weren’t put visually to from triangles and other shapes.

1 Like

Providence and Necessity (are), in the mortal, birth and death, and in God, unbegotten (essence). The immortal (beings) agree with one another and the mortal envy one another with jealousy, because evil envy arises due to knowing death in advance. The immortal does what he always does, but the mortal does what he has never done. Death, if understood, is immortality; if not understood (it is) death. They assume that the mortal (beings) of this (world) have fallen under (the dominion) of the immortal, but (in reality) the immortal are servants of the mortal of this (world).

–Hermes Trismegistus, Definitions of Hermes to Asclepius, Aphorism 10, Definition 6.

1 Like

It is really so simple, we just often don’t see it…
What could the Gods want from our prayers and hymns? A bit of fame for a time? What good does that do? No, they already have everything. Some of them have existed for all of time (even, before it). They do not want anything, nor do they need anything. “The immortal does what he always does, but the mortal does what he has never done.”

This material universe does not need all these Stars and Planets and this Life. It simply arises out of it, because that is its nature.

Nature is the mirror of truth; the latter is at once the body of the incorporeal (things) and the light of the invisible. The generous nature of this (world) teaches all (the beings). If it seems to you that nothing is a vain work, you will find the work and the craftsman, if it seems to you (like) a mockery, you will be mocked at.

–Hermes Trismegistus, Definitions of Hermes to Asclepius, Aphorism 8, Definition 5.

Everything flows from the superabundance of the Gods. Rather, it is us who benefit from their blessings.

2 Likes

Some time ago, I saw a video in which it was suggested that a lot of very short living and small creature don’t have the ability to feel pain since they don’t need it to navigate the world properly (It’s the same with plants, who did not evolve the ability to feel pain, having no need for it since they can’t move) being so short of life, having other ways to better ensure the survival of the species.

A lot of larger and more longer-living animals, including us, developed the ability to feel pain as a way to learn. We feel pain as a way for us to learn to better interact with the world, preventing us from dying too early, steering us away from further danger.

This is profound spiritually. The material world is a reflection of the higher, more perfect, spiritual world from which all things arise. So, I see this as a sign that pain, emotional as well as sensory, also ultimately serves as a way for the individual to learn, so that they are guided onto the right course.

Pain exists to give understanding of what to avoid.

5 Likes

Bees and the Sun

It is interesting to note how everything is connected to the 7 Classical Planets, who are traditionally Celestial Gods.

Bees are ruled by the Sun. They are Yellow in colour (One of the colours of the Sun). Their lives revolve around one central figure. And further, they tend to be aggravated by the colours of the enemies of the Sun, Black and Red, ruled by Saturn and Mars respectively, and they tend to avoid flowers of these colours.

They also especially love flowers that are the colours of Jupiter, The Sun, or Venus (Jupiter and Venus being friends of The Sun).

They are plagued by the animals ruled by the enemies of the Sun. The Bear (Ruled by Saturn and Mars, but also in part by The Sun) raids their hives for honey, and the Skunk (Ruled by Saturn) eats them.

Just as the Sun rules over the Vital Spirits in animals, and manages the growth and decay of the world, bees play a vital role in the growth of plants in the world.

And, they seem to especially love Lavender (I will likely write more on that in the future at some point).

3 Likes

Adding this here as I thought this study was very interesting:

1 Like