Neopagan Misconceptions about Hekate

Cheers! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you can think of any other misconceptions, please share.

4 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Always found funny she was linked to the Moon when her mythology made her closest to Saturn.

Maybe the New Moon at best for the mystery side.

1 Like

Why Saturn? She has chthonic aspects but also heavenly and possibly solar ones. She transcends planets.

1 Like

Argueably, all the Gods transcend the planets (depending on how you define a “God”).

But I really enjoyed that article on Patheos that you posted. However, it appeared to me that her associations are almost entirely the same as those of the Moon. That is except on two instances. The first being shown in the Hymns of Orpheus, where that article suggests the Hymn says that she rules over Heaven. The second being her association with the realm of the dead. However, that may very well be an association of the Moon as well that I simply haven’t explicity seen elsewhere. In any case, the Moon rules over life and death in the material world.

The Moon bestows wealth, safety, success in agriculure, and is the great Judge, deciding how things shall begin, and how things shall end, and she rules over travel, children, and over magick.

The article says the Goddess Hekate is associated with the Moon, and we see how this is appropriate. It also says that the Chaldean Oracles suggests that Hecate is the Mediatrix between God and the World, which is similar to the role of the Moon, who is the Mediatrix between the Heavenly realm and the Terrestial realm.

We see then, that the Moon is likely partially a manifestation of Hekate (And other Gods and Goddesses associated with the Moon), or her power is communicated onto the world through the Moon.

2 Likes