Homeric Verses for Spellwork

Homeric Verses for Spellwork

Homeric verses which can be recited with magickal intent.

Baneful, Twisting & Banishing

Achilles glared at him and answered, "Fool, prate not to me about covenants. There can be no covenants between men and lions, wolves and lambs can never be of one mind, but hate each other out and out an through. Therefore there can be no understanding between you and me, nor may there be any covenants between us, till one or other shall fall.

And overpowered by memory, both men gave way to grief. Priam wept freely. For man - killing Hector, throbbing, crouching. Before Achilles’ feet as Achilles wept himself, Now for his father, now for Patroclus once again. And their sobbing rose and fell throughout the house.

Antilochus! You’re the most appalling driver in the world! Go to hell!

…but there they lay, sprawled across the field, craved far more by the vultures than by wives.

Come, weave us a scheme so I can pay them back!
Stand beside me, Athena, fire me with daring, fierce as the day we ripped Troy’s glittering crown of towers down.Stand by me - furious now as then, my bright-eyed one - and I would fight three hundred men, great goddess, with you to brace me, comrade-in-arms in battle!

Death and the strong force of fate are waiting.

Even a fool learns something once it hits him.

Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.

Like the generations of leaves, the lives of mortal men. Now the wind scatters the old leaves across the earth, now the living timber bursts with the new buds and spring comes round again. And so with men: as one generation comes to life, another dies away.

No man or woman born, coward or brave, can shun his destiny.

Of all creatures that breathe and move upon the earth, nothing is bred that is weaker than man.

Rage - Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus’ son Achilles, murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses, hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls, great fighters’ souls, but made their bodies carrion, feasts for the dogs and birds, and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end. Begin, Muse, when the two first broke and clashed, Agamemnon lord of men and brilliant Achilles.

Ruin, eldest daughter of Zeus, she blinds us all, that fatal madness—she with those delicate feet of hers, never touching the earth, gliding over the heads of men to trap us all. She entangles one man, now another.

Sing, O muse, of the rage of Achilles, son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans.

Strife and Confusion joined the fight, along with cruel Death, who seized one wounded man while still alive and then another man without a wound, while pulling the feet of one more corpse out from the fight. The clothes Death wore around her shoulders were dyed red with human blood.
The roaring seas and many a dark range of mountains lie between us.

The sinews no longer hold the flesh and the bones together, and once the spirit has let the white bones, all the rest of the body is made subject to the fire’s strong fury, but the soul flitters out like a dream and flies away.

The sort of words a man says is the sort he hears in return.

There is nothing alive more agonized than man, of all that breathe and crawl across the earth.

There will be killing till the score is paid.

We men are wretched things.

What are the children of men, but as leaves that drop at the wind’s breath?

You yellow dogs, you thought I’d never make it home from the land of Troy. You took my house to plunder, twisted my maids to serve your beds. You dared/ bid for my wife while I was still alive. Contempt was all you had for the gods who rule wide heaven, contempt for what men say of you hereafter. Your last hour has come. You die in blood.

You, you insolent brazen bitch—you really dare to shake that monstrous spear in Father’s face?

Beauty, Charisma & Persuasion

Beauty! Terrible Beauty! A deathless Goddess-- so she strikes our eyes!

Down from his brow she ran his curls like thick hyacinth clusters full of blooms.

He knew how to say many false things that were like true sayings.

…like that star of the waning summer who beyond all stars rises bathed in the ocean stream to glitter in brilliance.

Blessings, Friendship & Harmony

But you, Achilles, There is not a man in the world more blest than you–There never has been, never will be one.

For a friend with an understanding heart is worth no less than a brother.

Nay if even in the house of Hades the dead forget their dead, yet will I even there be mindful of my dear comrade.

The charity that is a trifle to us can be precious to others.

Calming, Confusion & Sedation

A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time.

But sing no more this bitter tale that wears my heart away.

I wish that strife would vanish away from among gods and mortals, and gall, which makes a man grow angry for all his great mind, that gall of anger that swarms like smoke inside of a man’s heart and becomes a thing sweeter to him by far than the dripping of honey.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Sleep, delicious and profound, the very counterfeit of death.

Still, we will let all this be a thing of the past, though it hurts us, and beat down by constraint the anger that rises inside us. Now I am making an end of my anger. It does not become me, unrelentingly to rage on.

The rose Dawn might have found them weeping still had not grey-eyed Athena slowed the night when night was most profound, and held the Dawn under the Ocean of the East. That glossy team, Firebright and Daybright, the Dawn’s horses that draw her heavenward for men- Athena stayed their harnessing.

There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Courage, Protection & Success

And so their spirits soared as they took positions own the passageways of battle all night long, and the watchfires blazed among them. Hundreds strong, as stars in the night sky glittering round the moon’s brilliance blaze in all their glory.

Be strong, saith my heart; I am a soldier; I have seen worse sights than this.

But listen to me first and swear an oath to use all your eloquence and strength to look after me and protect me.

Each man delights in the work that suits him best.

Let me not then die ingloriously and without a struggle, but let me first do some great thing that shall be told among men hereafter.

No man will hurl me down to Death, against my fate.

The proud heart feels not terror nor turns to run and it is his own courage that kills him.

There is no greater fame for a man than that which he wins with his footwork or the skill of his hands.

Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen, but his country’s cause.

Yea, and if some god shall wreck me in the wine-dark deep, even so I will endure…For already have I suffered full much, and much have I toiled in perils of waves and war.

Love, Lust & Obsession

Come then, put away your sword in its sheath, and let us two go up into my bed so that, lying together in the bed of love, we may then have faith and trust in each other.

First she said we were to keep clear of the Sirens, who sit and sing most beautifully in a field of flowers; but she said I might hear them myself so long as no one else did. Therefore, take me and bind me to the crosspiece half way up the mast; bind me as I stand upright, with a bond so fast that I cannot possibly break away, and lash the rope’s ends to the mast itself. If I beg and pray you to set me free, then bind me more tightly still.

Now from his breast into the eyes the ache of longing mounted, and he wept at last, his dear wife, clear and faithful, in his arms, longed for as the sunwarmed earth is longed for by a swimmer spent in rough water where his ship went down under Poseidon’s blows, gale winds and tons of sea. Few men can keep alive through a big serf to crawl, clotted with brine, on kindly beaches in joy, in joy, knowing the abyss behind: and so she too rejoiced, her gaze upon her husband, her white arms round him pressed as though forever.

There is nothing more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.

There is the heat of Love, the pulsing rush of Longing, the lover’s whisper, irresistible—magic to make the sanest man go mad.

8 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

Beautiful!

3 Likes