[SOCIAL] [LITERATURE] What are you reading for fun

So I’d just finished the overlord series by Kugane Maruyama and no new book have come out yet I was wonder if anybody have any interest reading could give me some recommendations for new series to read.

5 Likes

I’m allowing this as a social, not magick related thread. Keep all the discussion about not magickal literature here, please.

7 Likes

Screenshot 2022-10-09 5.11.38 PM

Gonna get this new edition and reread it

5 Likes

Also I have a recommendation if anyone is looking for a new series to the powder mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan

1 Like

I’ve been reading After the Quake by Haruki Murakami!

4 Likes

He‘s cool…I liked his „weird“ books

1 Like

I like him, Kafka on The Shore is my favorite.

3 Likes

Yes, thats one of the weird ones and „A wild sheep chase“.

2 Likes

Currently reading the Wizard of Earthsea books. After having heard it hyped up for so many years, I found it (well at least the first book)… entirely forgettable. Maybe it was amazing in its time, but it has been surpassed by just about every other fantasy series I’ve read.

I just recently finished the Divergent trilogy which I actually loved, and I finished every book in 24 hours or under. Wish the movies had done them justice.

For fantasy lovers I recommend:

• The Realm of the Elderlings series by Robin Hobb
  • The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
  • The Witches of Eileanan series by Kate Forsyth… and the sequel trilogy whose name I don’t remember (Tower of Ravens, etc.)
  • His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (YA)
  • The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Abhorsen trilogy (aka Old Kingdom trilogy) by Garth Nix (YA-ish)
  • The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (unfinished by author)
  • The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (unfinished by author)

For sci-fi I recommend:

• the Salvation Sequence trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton
  • the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
  • Animorphs series by K. A. Applegate (YA)
  • Everworld series by K. A. Applegate (YA)
6 Likes

I removed my entry because it could be seen as political (CIA and the Cold War events). My apologies.

I’m rereading this series right before bed and it’s perfect for being somewhat interesting while not causing my brain to wind up as I try to prepare to sleep.

4 Likes

Anne Rice , Servent of the Bones

5 Likes

Sister,

How cruel and vicious. I read The Wizard of Earthsea back in 1977. I was thirteen or fourteen years old. I never forgot it - the sparsely worded sentences, the slow pace.
How long did it take you to workout who/what Ged was chasing?
Try The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Just finished both Fallen Angel and Angel’s Inferno, both by the late William Hjortsberg. Or, if you want to save yourself time, just watch Angel Heart (1987).

4 Likes

Sweet baby jesus… SCHOOL FLASHBACKS

2 Likes

Do fanfics count? I’ve been reading a ton of them lately :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Probably the second or third time he mentioned it had no name. :stuck_out_tongue:

Forgive my cruelty, hehe. I think I was a victim of having it hyped up for so long that I was expecting some grand final confrontation/battle that I’ve been conditioned to expect from postmodern fantasy. Also perhaps because I read it too quickly without really taking breaks between events… Even so, I still found myself saying “Who?” a lot when they mentioned characters later in the book. Except Ogion, I liked him.

And I’m having a hard time getting into the second book. Don’t crucify me please :point_right::point_left:

Try Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast series, at least the first (canonical) three.

Alternatively, I very highly recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It’s a classic.

3 Likes

I’m reading “Hatchet”, by Gary Paulsen.

4 Likes

Back thirty-nine years ago I was in final year High school (Middle school) and there was this student of Syrian extraction who confessed that every morning, before school, he read a couple of pages of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and meditated up on it all day! He treated it as scripture. It’s an incredible read, and sadly is very true.

Rejected by I forget how many publishers before one published gave it to his son to evaluate and his son said words to the effect that it’d loose money but had to be published because it was and would be seen as a classic.

I read it in 1982.

Nietzsche will fuck you up, especially Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which again I highly recommend.

5 Likes

I fucking love Nietzsche (fucking me up)

2 Likes

I guess I am one of those people who have read so many books that now for me, it is super impossible to find a book that I will like. But Science Fiction is for me the best kind of books.

4 Likes