Herbs & Resins for Divination and Psychic Awareness

Herbs & Resins for Divination and Psychic Awareness

A list of divinitory and clair stimulating herbs and resins that can be blended or burned in isolation, or used to create magickal oils / tinctures / incenses / powders / bath salts / teas / washes / poppets / charms etc., pulled from:

• The Complete Book of Incense, Oils, and Brews (Scott Cunningham)
  • The Master Grimoire: Herbs, Oils and Incenses (Pat Kirven Sawyer)

Do not consume anything without checking it’s toxicity!

Divination

• Anise
  • Camphor
  • Clove
  • Hibiscus
  • Meadowsweet
  • Orange
  • Orris

Psychic Awareness

• Acacia (Flowers, Gum)
  • Anise
  • Bay
  • Buchu Leaves
  • Calendula
  • Camphor
  • Cassia
  • Cedar
  • Celery Seed
  • Cinnamon
  • Citron
  • Clove
  • Dandelion
  • Deerstongue
  • Dragonsblood
  • Flax
  • Gardenia
  • Gum Mastic
  • Heliotrope
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hyacinth
  • Lemongrass
  • Lilac
  • Linden
  • Locust
  • Lotus
  • Low John
  • Mace
  • Marigold
  • Mugwort
  • Nutmeg
  • Orange
  • Orris
  • Peppermint
  • Rose
  • Saffron
  • Star Anise
  • Thyme
  • Tuberose
  • Wormwood
  • Yarrow

Anise, Camphor, Clove, Orange, and Orris appear on both lists.

Poison Hemlock “ruins” magickal properties. If you wanted to cut some one off fom their natural gifts, you could try playing with combining it with the ingredients above, perhaps in a poppet or candle spell.

I do not know why Bay Leaf and Mugwort were omitted from divination. I would place both in that category.

As always, please feel free to add your own!

4 Likes

A guess; mugwort might be interchangeable with wormwood (both are artemisia species)
and traditionally have similar uses (medicinally anyways). considered to dangerous to use these days. Formerly medicinally used to expel intestinal worms but not used or recommended for that today. Not recommend fir consumption at all.

1 Like

My add re herbs is

I recommend caution with camphor, cinnamon, buchu, mace, nutmeg and wormwood.

Cinnamon has become suspect of containing carcinogens in recent research. It’s considered safe used in flavouring amounts. The oil does interact with sunlight and can cause dermatitis.

Buchu is probably safe but the roots are used like exlax to make you poop and in wrong doses the roots are known to cause explosive diarrhea.

Mace and nutmeg are purportedly able to cause problems if consumed in large amounts.

Camphor is used in mothballs therefore caution is advised though I’m not sure of the dangers of consumption (it’s always better to be safe than sorry).

As to wormwood it can cause abortions (DO NOT use for that purpose) and potentially convulsions or death because those are some of the potentially dangerous side effects of one of the chemicals in it specifically thujone. here’s a link to info on it.

As for the rest far as I know they’re safe but use cautiously and if consuming try minute quantities first since even safe herbs and foods pose a risk of causing allergic
reactions.

1 Like

Tbh I have smoked a lot of both, and still drink them as teas / tinctures, but this probably good advice…

1 Like

Not magically though :confused:

1 Like

Well that’s what professionals (not me) say, but considering you need a reliable source (there are some fakes online) and to know what’s a safe amount/method vs what’s too much….

Depending on the herb and method or use it becomes use at your own risk at your own discretion

As long as you know what you’re getting is the real deal (especially one from these lists on this thread) appropriately in appropriate amounts is should be safe. I suggest researching before using though so you are making informed choices :man_shrugging: :slight_smile:

Add: I heard about this (not a herb) I have heard of people thinking they were buying Himalayan pink salt but got colored table salt. So a trust worthy source is important.

1 Like