Dark Arts Oil Recipe?

Dark Arts Oil Recipe?

Does anyone who has made their own Dark Arts Oil, and has had good results with it, have a recipe they would like to share? Perhaps @NavyBeans , @Czar , or @anon45953330 ?

I killed a fly and it got me thinking :woman_shrugging:

Ingredients I’ve seen recommended on the interwebs:

• Cypress
  • Patchouli
  • Sulphur
  • Graveyard Dirt
  • Vervain
  • Spanish Moss
  • Mullein
  • Black Dog Hair
  • Black Pepper

And insight from someone who has made this kind of oil would be much appreciated!

5 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mythopoeia’s Magickal Oil Recipes

I haven’t had a chance to make any yet, but that’s something to put on my “to do” list :thinking:

5 Likes

I made some, but not enough time has passed that I can say much about its effectiveness. If something happens, I will reply again to say something about that
I used: myrrh patchouli mullein gum mastic cinnamon vetivert graveyard dust, iron filings, dried pig blood, castor oil
That was also a modification of the recipe for dark arts in A Master Grimoire of Oils, Herbs, and Incenses by Pat Kirven Sawyer
The original recipe in the book had:
Myrrh, Patchouli, Cinnamon, Gum Mastic, Graveyard Dust, Vetivert, Mullein
It also had a description of why some ingredients were selected for this recipe, but depending on which herb and what role it has in the recipe, I think it’s ok to substitute something else that accomplishes the same thing e.g. cinnamon was selected to catalyze the other ingredients, but I think cloves and allspice also do that.
“In general, you will discover that in hexing recipes there is almost always a mixture of light and dark herbs. The reason for this has to do with moderating or modulating the vibration of the recipe. While one could mix strictly baneful herbs together and form a good hexing potion, it would probably be difficult to control its power without the softer, more malleable herbs.
Baneful herbs alone are like a clenched fist ready to do damage. Also, due to the sordid reputation of certain hexing/ baneful herbs, it is to be assumed that they would be just as likely to turn against the user as to his/her bidding.
The less baneful herbs help keep the potion stable. Cinnamon catalyzes the other ingredients. The inclusion of the two gums–Gum Mastic and Myrrh–causes the recipe to function on both the psychic plane (Gum Mastic) and the material plane (Myrrh).
Technically, Vetivert is a power herb and may be used to strengthen hexing potions (although this use is rather infrequent)“
Hope something helps!

5 Likes

That is very helpful, thank you @Czar !!

5 Likes

@Czar I’m experimenting with an “evil eye” oil / tincture; something very drying / parasitic. So far my candidate ingredients are:

• Black Tea
  • Yarrow
  • Ivy
  • Belladonna
  • Myrrh
  • Dragon’s blood

Maybe Vervain / Horehound / Mistletoe. I’d love to add Spanish moss and Witch hazel, but don’t have them on hand and would wrather use what I do have / what grows around me. I could easily get them back home, but not here in Europe.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, I’d love to hear them!

Edit: after reading a little more about astringent herbs, I am thinking:

Mild: Mullein, Sage, Plantain Leaves
Moderate: Yarrow, Ivy, Lady’s Mantle
Strong: Blackberry Leaves, Rose

+Black Tea, Belladonna, Dragons blood, Myrhh

5 Likes

That all looks good to me!
I looked around and found this page with a bunch of substitutions for future use Modern Tips For The Modern Witch — Common Substitutions In Witchcraft - Herbs and... which listed these general ones

• Rosemary can be used in place of any other herb
  • Rose can be used in place of any flower
  • Frankincense or Copal can be used in place of any Gum Resin
  • Sage can substitute for any mint
  • Tobacco can be used in place of any poisonous herb

I read in another forum that vervain can be substituted with sassafras, hyssop, or lemon, but I haven’t tried these myself.
As for the Spanish moss- I thought of cobwebs or knotgrass as a potential substitute, but I haven’t read about these. It’s just what popped up in my head when I first read your post, so take that with a grain of salt
Excited to hear how your concoction works out! I would love to try making this too❣️

4 Likes

That is clever!! Spiderwebs would make sense. Thank you :slight_smile:

I think I will go with a tincture, starting on the full moon and ending on the dark moon. Thank you for the info and the suggestions @Czar :spider_web:

3 Likes