Book Suggestions?

Metamorphosis is goated​:wink::upside_down_face:

1 Like

I used to but I’ll be looking for it again. I’ll let you know when I get it!

1 Like

As a reminder, asking for pdfs that are not publicly available from non-pirated sources is prohibited. This includes most of the sources that turn up in searches.

Publicly available pdfs from places like the Internet Archive are acceptable, as those have agreements with publishers.

6 Likes

My daughter loves Wuthering Heights :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This man always makes my head hurt in the best ways.

3 Likes

Noted!

Same. I would recommend all of his books tbf, I’m biased.

3 Likes

Journeys out of the body - bob Monroe
Far journeys - bob Monroe
Ultimate journey- bob monroe

All 3 are absolutely fascinating

5 Likes

Lol my bad

1 Like

Yeah i searched it everywhere
And physical copies are expensive :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Cant hurt me by david goggins not exactly a book about war but very martian and inspirational

3 Likes

Ulysses - James Joyce
Operation Massacre - Rodolfo Walsh (the true first non-fiction novel, published almost a decade before Capote’s In cold blood)
2666 - Roberto Bolaño

5 Likes

Blade Runner (1982).

Al.

2 Likes

If you are looking for a big plant book that covers fytotherapeuthical (regarding study of medicinal herbs) one of the largest known books I know of is the “Groot Handboek Geneeskrachtige Planten” from Dr. Geert Verhelst, it does come with history, recipes of modern and historical context, lore of plants and historical belief in the magical practices and folklore regarding plants specifically (though not the main focus of the book still plentiful in both explainations and recipes) are also structurally included… If doing anything with plants, it does come with a Latin naming structure but would require manual translation if not versed in Dutch of the pages of interest… It contains more than 200 herbs spread out over roughly 681 pages, that is exclusive the entire index, and also regarding the actual readings of the book each functional plants has multiple pages are written in tiny tiny letters… the amount of recipis in this book is absolutely nuts and it would take years to try them all out (many thousands of recipes) Note this book is not recommended for a quick read, obviously! :smile:

If seeking some unconventional piece of dark history, I would suggest Them + Us, it is a disputed hypothesis that Neanderthals hunted humans, and discribes in all its glory and darkness how they did it. It does not offer conclusion, since it is quite disputed across the scientific community for its open holes in its hypothesis, but the theories it builds on are very rare to come across and does have some small sections on the correlation between experiences and dream imprinting in a species that I do find has quite the punch for certain fields of Magick. This book can be finished quite quickly and its tone and original topic stands out as very rememberable.

More of a side note of mine I guess, but something I would not want to exclude from mentioning, I would deeply not recommend reading Kybalion other than for entertainment. It is a very conflicting work written by dearest William Walker Atkinson for it is not Hermetically able to be closed… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Is there an English version of the first book groot handbook geneeskrachtige planten by Geert Verhelst? I could not find one
I also had to switch to Amazon UK just to find the one in Dutch, and it doesn’t show up in Google shopping.

2 Likes

Find a library and have a good sit down with this one (Gerard’s Herbal) I am shocked at how much they want for it now. I thought the price was awful high when I got my copy in I think 1997. That’s not the worst price though .(no idea what the worst price might be but the worst I saw tonight was an Amazon Canada listing wanting over &600 for it. Like OMG you’d have to be crazy to pay that when a US listing is half that price. That’s why I suggest a library borrow.

Add: It IS a monster of a book. Something like 4 inches thick and it is heavy (I forget how many pages I think something like 4000 pages maybe more).If you ever get your hands on it don’t hit anyone with it. It’d be assault with a deadly weapon if ya did.

2 Likes

Could you make the 1st video on making gauntlets? I want to learn how to make Freddy Kruger claws. For Halloween of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am afraid that the book to my knowledge is not available in English, though if purely looking at words, Dutch is frightenly similar to English and often copies the exact styles of more difficult words in a highly as good as identical, predictable, manner. :sweat_smile: Such as the -ion suffix being replaced with the -ie suffix in Dutch resulting in the exact same word. The main difficulty in Dutch is the usage of smaller words and obviously words without transposable suffixes being often different. Certain aspects of grammatica like the word gender stuff, but those are not mandetory to read the meaning of the texts. :slightly_smiling_face: I would be happy to offer translation of some plant pages if you want a sample and a general feel of the content of the book.

2 Likes

Thank you for offering! It sounds like a great book that could be a really good resource. I’d be very grateful for however much you are willing to translate as a sample.
Thank you again :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Life of Charlemagne is a pretty decent book tbh. It combines history with fiction pretty well.

2 Likes

Peter James Carroll’s masterpiece: Liber Null & Psychonaut. I came to it after filling my head with Magick that didn’t work. Then after I studied it, the Magick worked. Do the exercises!

Al.

4 Likes