Beginner's guide: Meditation 101

What is meditation?

To meditate is to achieve an altered, calmer, state of mind. And that’s all.

I can’t meditate!

Yes, you can.

How do I meditate?

Relax your body. Slow down your breathing. Choose a comfortable position but be sure you won’t fall asleep. Focus on something, doesn’t matter what. Be it a point on the wall, an object in front of you or a shape you imagine. Let the chain of thoughts go. Observe them, but do not judge them.

You don’t need to be in an entirely blank state of mind. Is that even a thing, really?

What does meditation do for me?

Meditation will give you some discipline, help you to keep it calm when certain experiences come but, more importantly, will teach you to recognize your own internal voices. This is very important, since at first you communication with spirits will be clouded by your own thoughts. Knowing what’s you and what’s them once they communicate is key. And trust me, first emotional responses will come from them, but the next thing are distinct voices in your head.

It would be quite easier to conclude that you’re speaking to yourself, that you’ve gone mad. And this is why meditation is so important. Now go and meditate.

11 Likes

Thanks @ReyCuervo it is beneficial
what is the best book or books for learning meditation for beginners?

2 Likes

Haven’t read a lot on the topic, but we can wait for someone else to fill us in.

2 Likes

My recommendation is one that was given to me by a friend.

I will also recommend a phone app called headspace. It has courses designed to help you from beginner to adept.

4 Likes