Beginner's guide: Divination 101

What is divination?

Is the act of trying to get an idea of what’s coming ahead. And nothing more. Used with at least some neurons it is a useful tool. Otherwise is a waste of time.

How many divination methods exist?

Quite a lot, tarot and pendulums being the most popular, followed by many others like penny divination (to get yes/no answers), lonarmand (cards, but a bit different than tarot), ouija (very unreliable, but can contact you with Hermes-knows-what), bibliomancy among many others.

How does it work?

From experience, divination can tell you what it is truth hic et nunc, right here and now, things as they are, but mundane actions on your part may change that in unexpected ways. And this is often the case.

One of my decks, I’m sure, has some sort of intelligence attached to it, an egregore most likely. Once in a while it even trolls me.

How do I use it?

Is very normal for people to try to divine if they should work with this or that spirit or to help to take a decision in the face of potentially life changing events, like applying for a new job. But there is no real limit to what it can be used for, as long as you don’t depend on your pendulum to decide to eat a sandwich or not.

It is really necessary?

No. And yes. Since most forms of divination demand tools, I would say you can start your own magickal practice without one, but get one as soon as possible since you’ll want it. And that’s normal and reasonable.

The most popular method is the tarot. Decks are cheap and easy to use. If that’s your jam, know this: you don’t need to memorize the card’s meanings but you need to know your deck, get familiar with it and follow your gut when reading. And if any given spread doesn’t suit your needs, you can always make up your own. Or don’t, but I do it.

In case you lack any tools and want to try your hand right at it, here it is a TUTORIAL on how to use The Book of Fate.

4 Likes