All Manner of Questions

Very interesting Journal. Following.

3 Likes

Yeah this is interesting

2 Likes

Entry #8 - Will Poland win the match against Saudi Arabia?

Poland is playing again tomorrow so I cast a chart to save face from the last one!

Poles get the 1st house and its ruler, Saturn, while Saudis get the 7th house and its ruler, The Sun.

The Sun is cadent in the 9th house, which doesn’t bode well for them. Despite Saturn being outside the 5 degree range where it could be considered to be in the 1st house, I’m still gonna consider it as being in it since the house itself is so big; Saturn angular in its own house is certainly a strong position for Poland to be in. Jupiter in Pisces inside the 1st house is also helpful, although not as much as it could be if it was in the same sign as the cusp. Saturn’s antiscion is conjunct the South Node, which is a somewhat weakening testimony.

Unsurprisingly, I would judge Poland to win the match. In an effort to weigh the testimonies, I’d say the result will be 2:0.

3 Likes

Very well done on this judgment! 2:0 just as you said too.

3 Likes

Getting the hang of it! Need more practice but I’m not much of a sports fan which will make it difficult. I need some querents who care lol

3 Likes

Yes that is one trouble with this sort of thing! Luckily, I like divining things, so I have enough curiosity for it to work.

You could also try betting on these matches, that should give you enough interest at least!

3 Likes

I have found that with sports you really need to have a “way in” to the chart, i.e. you need to strongly root for a team to consider it “us” so you can determine which house it gets. When you have no particular preference, there is no criteria to assign teams to houses. In my experience, this isn’t true for other questions, but it is for sports, for whatever reason.

I did that for today’s match (Mexico vs Argentina), but I didn’t post it because asking whether I will win if I bet on X still leaves a possibility of a draw, other than the other team winning, if the answer is “no”. As to replicating this, unfortunately it’s not entirely feasible to cast this question everyday either; horary stops answering when you start treating it as a slot machine.

3 Likes

Very true and good point. I have seen a similar thing with doing tarot readings. You need to have enough emotions for it to work. However, I am a lot more willing to cast multiple charts or do multiple readings with such divination methods, and often do. But, the spirit is still important for such methods for it to be accurate.

3 Likes

But for something such as stock trading, I would doubt that someone would be able to reliably perform divination on this, since divination would have to be done too often (on too similar a line of questions).

3 Likes

Well if you’re just gonna ask whether one stock will be lucrative after another then certainly it will not answer reliably, which goes back to the slot machine approach I mentioned earlier, but if you have sincere interest in investing or speculating on something, you can bet you’re gonna get a truthful response.

3 Likes

Entry #9 - Will Ghana win the match with South Korea?

Following @Dankquanicus lead, here is a one-off geomancy chart concerning tomorrow’s match. Because I’m still not sold on being able to predict a result without having a preference for either team, I consider this chart to be nothing more than an experiment.

Ghana gets House 7 with Caput, and South Korea gets House 1 with Tristitia.

Both figures being fixed, they are somewhat on an equal footing, but Ghana will probably dominate the 1st half of the match, empowered by Caput. They should be playing a lot more aggressively than Korea. Although, overall, because they both jump to succeedent houses, they will both play well.

Tristitia is in company with Cauda, which means Korea will not play so well after all; with reception of Via, they will probably rely on lucky occasions to score. While this is unfortunate, if it weren’t in company it would be even worse off by being besieged.

Caput jumps to House 5 and forms an inconjunct with House 10 (victory) - Ghana cannot see “the prize”, a minor negative testimony.

Tristitia jumps to House 11 and conjuncts Acquisitio in the 10th House, bringing Korea the win. The reception between them is Conjunctio, which appears as the judge. Conjunctio is a double-bodied figure, so I’m expecting at least 2 goals from them.

The right witness is Amissio, which sits in Ghana’s turned 10th House and is conjunct their figure, which I’m taking as their coach or manager. Amissio + Fortuna Minor = Ghana’s coach (and the team itself) sets with the sun to their defeat. Interestingly, the reception between the 2 teams is also Conjunctio, which could mean a draw, but I haven’t done enough of these to say that with any sort of conviction.

What will be the end score? I’m going with 2:0 for Korea, but 2:1 wouldn’t surprise me either.

Additional considerations:

Conjunctio, which is the reception figure between Tristitia and Acquisitio, sits in Ghana’s turned 12th House alongside Fortuna and is in company with Caput, yielding Tristitia, which could mean Korea will score by penalty.

3 Likes

It seems that, expectedly, I assigned the teams to wrong houses. It was Korea that dominated the first half and played better overall, while Ghana seemed to have been creating occasions to score out of thin air. The score was 3:2 for Ghana, which of course isn’t that surprising since predicting exact scores isn’t really something I can replicate reliably; the important thing is that Conjunctio indeed gave them 2+ goals, which is satisfactory judgement.

While there was no penalty, the coach (of Korea of course), was in fact important, as highlighted in court, because he received a red card from the referee. This is further shown by his reception figure with H10 (Amissio + Acquisitio = Via) sitting in his turned 12th house of self-undoing. It is also the figure that translates the coach betweeen the ref. @Dankquanicus if you can see Rubeus here somewhere, let me know :smiley:

For thoroughness’ sake, here is a chart for Brazil vs Switzerland, where I will assign the first team to House 1 and the second team to House 7, maybe that’s the better way.

Brazil gets House 1 with Fortuna Minor, while Switzerland gets House 7 with Fortuna Major; Victory sits in House 10 with Puer. To make this brief, Fortuna Major combusts the 1st House, which gives the judgement - Switzerland will win. We have a further confirmation by Puer jumping to House 6 and conjuncting them, but this isn’t neccessary. The reception of Fortuna Major with Puer is Cauda, which doesn’t promise a lot of goals scored; Fortuna Major is also in company with Tristitia, another indicator of bad play. Because of combustion and the fact that Fortuna Minor doesn’t perfect in any way with Puer (and doesn’t jump to any other house either), I would say Brazil may not score even 1 goal.

Another possible way we could assign both teams to their houses is by description of their figures. This was certainly easier in the previous example (Tristitia with Cauda gives a very dark complextion fit for Ghanians), than here with both figures being characterized by The Sun, with only subtle differences. That said, Fortuna Major is in company with Tristitia, which would give it a more poignant disposition; with reception of Albus, it seems to describe Swiss well.

The score? As always, hard to say, but I would guess 0:1

3 Likes

Let’s just say, in the chart you cast regarding if Brazil will win against Switzerland, I judge that Brazil will win, if you asked if Brazil will win. Let’s see who is correct. If Brazil wins, I may explain why I say this!

3 Likes

The exact question was “Will Brazil win the match with Switzerland?”, for clarity.

3 Likes

Following, hoping to learn a thing or two.

2 Likes

Got the score right, teams wrong again. This time Brazil was House 7. I thought that geomancy might behave differently than horary, but it seems they are the same in that regard - when you don’t give a shit, they don’t either. This to me is conclusive proof that this type of question cannot be answered without a preference for either team. Perhaps it could be done by comparing each team’s performance during the game to the figures in H1 and H7, but I’ll leave that for others to research.

2 Likes

Alright, let me explain why I judged that Brazil would win from your chart, and why I would have judged that Ghana would win from your other chart.

In one of the first chapters of Book I of John Heydon’s Theomagia, he says that if the Judge is ill, then judge the question ill. If the Judge is good, then judge the question good.
Sam Block of Digital Ambler takes this approach as well.

I always consider the Judge to answer the question, whether the chart perfects or not, and regardless of what interactions occur in the House Chart. And I have done this without error. When I based my answer off of perfection in the chart, I made errors in judgement.

In your first chart, Conjunctio was the Judge, which is positive for a win for Ghana. This was a slightly complex one, since Amissio was the Right Witness, and Acquisitio the Left Witness. So, a conbination of good and ill. However, the Left Witness also signifies the Quesited, and with Acquisito, we can judge Conjunctio to be more favorable than good in this case.

In your chart regarding Brazil, we see Populus with Acquisito as both the Right Witness and Left Witness, very clear indication of a win. I took the figure in company of the 7th House as confirmation of this Judgment, because the figure in company is Tristitia, signifying that the Switzerland team will be sadenned and disheartened after the match.

3 Likes

There are a lot of simplified eyeroller rules in Heydon (with a few gems in between), and I would consider this to be one of them. The rule of paternity is something I would never consider as definitive or even a strong testimony; I would use it only in rare circumstances.

I would never, ever, ever disregard the house chart in favor of the judge. I don’t subscribe to the idea that judge can give a contrary testimony to the houses either. I have also never erred in judgement by just looking at the house chart and forgetting the court alltogether. Every single “error” that could supposedly come out of the house chart, that I can think of, is a result of bad logic when assigning significators, being unaware of certain rules that are not found in any traditional of the traditional texts (not in Cattan, Fludd, Heydon, etc.), but have been passed down in geomantic lineages, or both. Geomancy has made significant progress since those guys’ times, but this isn’t publicly available information.

The left Witness was Fortuna Minor, not Acquisitio, so by the rule of paternity the judge is ill and Ghana should have lost. I also don’t think we can read the court as representing Ghana by any figure, since they aren’t the querent - I am, but let’s say I’m somewhat open to this idea that the first team named is in court.

3 Likes

Do you think this can be done with american football?

2 Likes

This can be done with any team sport when you root for one team. If 2 teams are playing each other and you can identify either of them as “us”, judgement can be rendered, both by geomancy and horary astrology.

2 Likes